THE DRIFTLESS AREA WETLANDS CENTRE
The City of Marquette will continue to create success, prosperity and growth by providing a complete and enriched environment for both its residents and visitors, uniting people and assets of the area to accentuate, promote and share this great place with the rest of the world.
Honoring those who made our place what it is today, connecting our assets and treading lightly while progressing is what our place is all about. The following has been developed upon this premise.
Mission: To provide a unique learning experience that connects people to the natural world and empowers them to positively impact their local environments.
- A shared environmental education and community gathering space, covered plaza area, small office-gift shop, a shower facility and 24/7 bathroom.
- A newly constructed Wetland with viewing platform
- Location is a result of the uniqueness of the environment for educational opportunities
- Can serve as a trailhead for the MRT, Trail of Two Cities, county trails with 24 hour bathroom and shower facility
- The Wetland Centre will be a welcome addition to “quality of life” features to attract businesses, industry, and individuals to locate in this area
- With growth and appeal of eco tourism, the facility will help attract visitors to the area and thus enhance economic growth
- The Wetland Centre will benefit earth science programs by providing a “home base” for groups such as schools, US Fish and Wildlife, Clayton
County Conservation, scouts, church groups, and private groups
- The large inside space will allow field trips to go forward during inclement weather.
- The Wetland Centre will extend the “education” season by facilitating groups during the winter.
- Area Community Center events will have a home that is ADA compliant
The Driftless Area Wetlands Centre is located just off Hwy 18 in Marquette, Ia one-half mile west of the Marquette-Joliet Bridge and the Mississippi River.
We are grateful to those who have demonstrated their vision and belief in conservation efforts and effective management of public lands and waters for the betterment of all society. We can help them with their program of ecological education and preservation by making this Wetlands Centre a reality.